Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Grapefruit, A Great Fruit!

      Recently I've been drinking grapefruit juice more often.  So I took the time to look up how it interacts with the body.  First I found that it may interact with up to 85 common prescription pills.  So if you are on any form of medication, ask your doctor or pharmacist if grapefruit will interact with it. These interactions are explained better here: Furanocoumarins.  

     I became interested more in this fruit when I would notice both an energy boost and a general feeling of happiness.  This most likely can be explained by the larger amount of vitamins and minerals found in it.  I encourage you to research on your own what these are, as I am finding many things I'm not familiar with.  

     Some of the commonly listed health benefits would be:  Helping with proper digestion, urinary tract infection's, flu-fighting, lowers cholesterol, and providing a defense against some types of cancer.  So adding a few slices of grapefruit to a breakfast meal or having some juice with dinner may help you feel more up to par.  

    I've personally noticed it helping in recovery from work-outs and/or high-stress environments.  The taste is quite bitter, but it is growing on me over time.  If you really can't stand it, try mixing it with apple or grape juice .  So yes I would have to say grapefruit is a great fruit!   

Sites I learned most of this from:    

No comments:

Post a Comment